Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Generation 1-Chapter 2


"Okay, Madeline, where do we go now?" she asked herself as she ran across the bridge. "It's a month after your birthday, you're a young adult now, you don't have anyone to look after you. On your own. The money Mom gave you is gone, and you can't live like a hobo all your life."


"Besides, you don't want her to think you can't make it. And she has her other children to look after . . You're not the only one. You were only number 26-nothing more."


I can do this. Of course I can do this.

But why do I feel so scared?

Relax, Madeline, this is the real world. What you have always wanted . .


I took a deep breath. Time to make the plunge. I walked inside Twinbrook's hospital. I had come to Twinbrook to get away from the busy life of Sunset Valley. Sunset Valley wasn't a very big place, but it was bigger than what I liked. A small town . . now that was my kind of place. I'm not very good around a bunch of people. A woman at a desk flashed me a bright smile. "Hi and welcome to Twinbrook Foundation Hospital. What can I do for you?" she asked.

"Uh, well, actually I was hoping to apply for a job."

"Oh, sorry hun. We're not hiring. You can still apply and we'll keep your application in case we ever need it."

"Thanks," I said, taking the application. I sat down in one of the waiting chairs, finished it, and gave it back to her.

"Alright, dear. You have a good day," she said.

"You too," I mumbled. So much for that idea.


So what would I do now? I had no money, and no house. To top it off, my stomach growled. How was I supposed to find some where to eat?


It seemed like someone was looking after me, as I came across the community garden. I glanced around warily. Would this even be allowed?

Who knows, I have no choice.


I ran to the nearest plant I could find, and hunkered down below the fence. Hopefully nobody could see me. Hunger driven, I plucked every grape vine from the plant.


"You know that probably isn't a good idea," someone said. I jumped, turning to look at them.

"Mark?" I asked, crawling to my feet.



"What are you doing here?" I rushed over to him and wrapped him in a hug.

"I should ask you the same," he said. I pulled back. I probably looked like a bum out here in the garden, stealing grapes.

"Well, I, uh. . ." I couldn't tell him I was out here stealing food. "I work here!" I exclaimed quickly.

"Oh really?"

"Yeah, just started today."

"Well that's weird," he said suspiciously.

"Why?" I asked.


"Because if someone had been hired, I would have been the first to know."

Oh crap.

"Well, I'm sure this is just a paperwork screw-up," I said too quickly.

"You don't really work here, do you?" he asked. Caught.

"No," I mumbled.

"So then why are you here?"

"It's a long story," I said. Not really.

"So, begin," he said.

"I'd rather not . ." He sighed, obviously seeing that I wasn't going to explain my actions.


"Do you want a drive home?" That's better than calling the cops. 

"Nah, that's alright. I need my exercise anyways. I'm sure you're busy," I lied.
Actually, how could I tell him that I didn't have a home?

"No, no, I insist." 
Persistent little thing isn't he.
"Besides, what kind of guy would I be to leave a lady to the streets?"

"Uh. Sure. A ride home sounds nice." But now I had to worry about where 'home' was.


I was sure nobody lived here. No cars, no lights. "There," I said, pointing to the house.

He got out, coming around to the passenger door and letting me out. "So this is where you live?"

"Yup."

"It's nice. Can I see the inside?"

Uh-oh. "No, I just moved in a few days ago and I'm pretty worn out."

"Oh, alright. Well, see you later."

I waited until I couldn't see his car anymore before running away from the lot.


Mark may have stopped me from stealing from the garden, but he didn't get all of it. All I had now was the clothes on my back, and these grapes.


This wasn't a 5-star hotel room, but it was somewhere to sleep. 

It seemed that I was getting nowhere in this town, but I wouldn't give up. I couldn't.


1 comment:

  1. I love it! Aw alone on the streets?! :/ I know she'll find a place and get a job soon.
    Great chapter!

    ~Dawn Turner

    ReplyDelete